Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is everyone just afflicted with short-term memory loss or what?? (VIDEO)

I am still amazed, sometimes, at how short my fellow Liberals memories can be.

A lot of them are decrying, howling in protest, and just plain ol' pissed off with President Obama's decision to allow some Offshore Drilling for Oil. (Not everyone got it wrong, though). My fellow Liberals are claiming that this was a betrayal of a promise he made on the campaign trail.

Except for the part where...you know...it wasn't.

Below is the video from a speech that Senator Barack Obama gave on August 4, 2008, on Energy in Lansing, Michigan.



The money part is about 11:54 into the video.

But to be complete, I have the relevant portion of the text right here. Please tell me where this statement diverges from what was said on Wednesday:

Last week, Washington finally made some progress on [make a serious, nationwide commitment to developing new sources of energy]. A group of Democrat and Republican Senators sat down and came up with a compromise on energy that includes many of the proposals I've worked on as a Senator and many of the steps I've been calling for on this campaign. It's a plan that would invest in renewable fuels and batteries for fuel-efficient cars, help automakers re-tool, and make a real investment in renewable sources of energy.

Like all compromises, this one has its drawbacks. It includes a limited amount of new offshore drilling, and while I still don't believe that's a particularly meaningful short-term or long-term solution, I am willing to consider it if it's necessary to actually pass a comprehensive plan. I am not interested in making the perfect the enemy of the good -- particularly since there is so much good in this compromise that would actually reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
The complete text of the speech can be found here, where the then-Senator says that drilling is basically a bull@#$% solution for short term energy prices. And so it remains. Yet, somehow the American Public is convinced the reverse is true.

I don't want to sit here and say I'm not a little disappointed by what happened, but I knew there was a reason this wasn't a kick in gut. This wasn't a freakin' surprise. Pretending otherwise is just getting sad.