Monday, August 2, 2010

Joe Klein's Mea Culpa on the Iraq War...

Until our recent reunion (when I started reading him again), the Iraq War was the reason I stopped listening to Joe Klein:

As for myself, I deeply regret that once, on television in the days before the war, I reluctantly but foolishly said that going ahead with the invasion might be the right thing to do. I was far more skeptical, and equivocal, in print--I never wrote in favor of the war and repeatedly raised the problems that would accompany it--but skepticism and equivocation were an insufficient reaction, too. In retrospect, the issue then was as clear cut as it is now. It demanded a clarity that I failed to summon. The essential principle is immutable: We should never go to war unless we have been attacked or are under direct, immediate threat of attack. Never. And never again.

"Reluctantly" is a term for editorial discussion. I personally remember him being a little less than reluctant.