Monday, July 25, 2011

Summing up the Conservative mindset on the Debt Ceiling...

Republicans simply may not have the emotional capacity to accept a bargain that they don't see as a humiliation for Obama.

New Republic
July 25, 2011

I hope you understand this is why a lot of African-Americans see actual racism in this country's reaction to the President. It's right there in that sentence. It's not enough for the House GOP to beat Obama, they have to humiliate him, even if they have to take the country down to do it.

This is the same GOP that ran up the debt that they now don't want to pay. This is the same GOP who voted seven times for George W. Bush to raise the Debt Ceiling without pre-condition.

If the GOP wanted to simply beat the Obama Administration, we would have had a Debt Ceiling deal days ago.

This is about humiliation, and that's why I see race in this.

I know the code words. I know the behaviors. I'm an African-American, this is not a hobby for me. Knowing the code words, recognizing the behaviors is a matter of survival.

And when you see it, it's hard not to react to it.