Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Burris Burris Burris...

Okay, from what I can tell, the President-Elect has told folks that it's okay to seat Burris.

That is a Senate matter. But I know Roland Burris, obviously he is from my home state. He is a fine public servant, if he gets seated then I am going to work with Roland Burris like all other senators to make sure that the people if Illinois and the people across the country are served.

In truth, this is a softening of his stance. He's still saying "if he gets seated", but c'mon, we all know what's happening here...

So Burris meets with Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Harry Reid (D-NV). And while the meeting is going on, the Associated Press reports that Burris's seating was about to happen.

Senate Democrats plan to accept Roland Burris for President-elect Barack Obama's vacant seat.

Problem. Harry Reid came out of the meeting, and promptly says that no decision's been made yet.

There's going to come a time when the entire Senate is going to have to act on this. And that day I hope would come sooner rather than later.

And to further clarify his ongoing position in regards to this new President, especially in context of the first quote I gave, Harry Reid told an Interviewer from the Hill:

I don't believe in the executive power trumping everything... I believe in our Constitution, three separate but equal branches of government. If Obama steps over the bounds, I will tell him. ... I do not work for Barack Obama. I work with him.

And a reporter from Politico:

I like Barack Obama very much. He won a classic election, never have we had a better one. But I don't work for him, I work with him.

He also managed to throw a brushback pitch to Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), in regards to her pro-Burris statement from yesterday.

That’s not valid, her statement. I told her that. OK?

And that AP story? Well, Harry Reid's spokesperson, Jim Manley, emailed Talking Points Memo and said simply:

It is wrong.

During his presser, Harry managed to clarify his official legal position on Burris matter:

Reid and Durbin both went to great lengths to say how much they like and respect Burris, and how constructive the meeting they just had with him was. But for now, they're waiting on two things: A ruling from the state Supreme Court on whether the missing signature of Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White is required for the appointment to be valid, and for Burris' testimony tomorrow before the Illinois House impeachment committee.

The first part, the ruling from the Illinois State Supreme Court is getting a fair bit of play. Fair enough that the Illinois Secretary of State, Jesse White, came out and said:

They could have seated him without my signature; my signature is not required.

Otherwise, the Secretary of State and not the Governor would be the most powerful person in any state. White also let go this particular nugget...

Asked by [WGN-AM 720's John] Williams if he had been made "the fall guy," White said, "You're absolutely correct."

So now, I think we're all pre-positioned for Burris's seating...

Except...

...the last part, that Harry is also waiting Burris' testimony in the Illinois House Impeachment Committee. That's interesting. Perhaps Harry is waiting to hear how hard Burris slams Blago during it before giving him the green light.