Sunday, September 13, 2009

CBS: The Barack Obama 60 Minutes Interview for Sept. 13, 2009 (VIDEO)


Watch CBS Videos Online

"Who told you your incompetent little fingers had the requisite skills to edit me!"

Sorry, movie reference.

I recommend the transcript if you have the time. They definitely did a lot of cutting.

KROFT: Before you made this speech, there was a sense clearly in the press and among people in Washington that this program was in trouble.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Right.

KROFT: That the healthcare reform was in trouble.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Right.

KROFT: Do you think that you do you think you changed some minds? Do you think you picked up some votes this week?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, here's a conversation I had with one of my advisors early on in this process. He said, "I've been in this town a long time. I think this is the year we're going to get healthcare done. But I guarantee you this will be pronounced dead at least four or five times before we finally get a bill passed." And so in some ways we anticipated this was just going to be difficult. Look, you're talking about one-sixth of the economy. You've got a whole range of special interests out there that are profiting from the current system and don't want to see it change. You've got a continuing habit of polarization inside of Washington that's hard to break.

And so we knew this was going to be hard. And I think what is true is that as Congress moves forward with all its legislation, the sausage making process got a lot of people confused. They didn't know which bill was which and what the program was. It was important for me to provide some clarity. And as a consequence of the speech that I gave, I think now more people understand what the bill's about. I think there's still going to be some vigorous debate. I think there's still a lot of hard work to get to get done. But I think at least it focused people's attention on why this is so important and what exactly we're trying to do.