Friday, October 1, 2010

Should I really be surprised at how self-absorbed Tea-Party members are?

What fascinates me about the Tea Party isn't just the racism, or the @#$-ignorant views on policy and economics, it's how utterly, completely, amazingingly self-absorbed they can be.

It's bad enough that these 27% think they represent the whole of the country, but for this woman to know someone for 30 years, to (hopefully) understand that she's a Liberal, to blurt something like that out strikes me as clueless to point that makes Christine O'Donnell look like...well...an Oxford Graduate in comparison:

In hindsight, Laurie Horvath says, it probably wasn't the best time to break the news to her liberal friend, who was trimming Horvath's hair between sips of sangria. "You know," Horvath told her casually, "I think I'm going to organize a tea party."

That's when the scissors slipped.

"She took a big chunk off, cut like 2 1/2 inches off the front corner of my hair," Horvath said. "She got so mad, she says, 'Laurie, I didn't even dream that you would vote Republican -- let alone do something like this. I think you should leave.' "

The two women, friends for 30 years, have become estranged, according to Horvath. The incident, which now strikes Horvath as more funny than sad, is a small illustration of how the rise of the tea party movement has roiled not only political discourse but also families and neighborhoods, even in famously liberal towns such as Austin, where Horvath and her former friend live.

I will say in Horvath's defense that her Hair-cutting friend probably should have known she would at least vote Republican by now.  Let's get real.

Unless she's reacting to...you know...something else.

No comments: